Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Gluten Free Kiwis San Francisco Road Trip

Well... After 12 hours on a plane, I am In San Fransico... And What a Crazy Day I Have Had So Far.

The gluten free eating has not gone so well to date, the airline (travel agent and check in person) Did not have my gluten free meals, even thou I asked them to check it was gluten and dairy free. They gave me vegetarian meals for dinner and breakfast, and assured me there was no gluten in them... But the mere fact that there was a bread roll on the plate made me think they had no idea what wheat free means!

So another 10 hours of upset tummy on the plane, and I arrived in San Francisco with a brand new band of ecezma on my face, and dryyyyyy skin... Best thing after that... No Running water at my hostel what so ever until 7pm, then it was FREEZING cold, and only turned on for another few hours... then no water at all until midnight... Not the best thing to arrive to when you have scummed yourself up nicely on the plane.

But its all Okay... Thing have improved since then, and I really like this city, it has a nice vibe about it, nice coastal, good climate... good to be away from the crisp snowy air of New Zealand for now.

So yesterday I set out for a walk with a friend in an aim to navigate ourself around... many hills were walked, photos taken... breathtaking scenery, and friendly people.

My Most pleasing discovery, was that they can make a decent cup of coffee over here... brilliant for me who has not slept in 2 days... hence my current blogging to keep myself awake until an acceptable sleeping hour.

So many cute shoes, necklaces, tops... and more! I really need to attack the shops again soon.

Went to china town for dinner... I knew I could Pick myself something gluten free over here, so opted for beef with steamed veges and wine, came out with green tea, and it was tasty! So now my tummy is pretty happy, have managed to find a variation of gluten free munchies... and the seasonal fruit is superb at the moment.... Best thing about San Frans Hills is... no feeling guilty about cheating on my diet... I walk off all the calories and then some.

Had a few wines with a few fellow travellers at the hostel last night, talked a lot about nothing, and soaked up the hostel atmosphere, other then the lack of running water its a pretty cool place.

The Wine Tour

Today I have been up and going since around 6am As i could not sleep last night... stupid body clock! Who knew such breathtaking scenery and a calm atmosphere was just a stones throw from the buzzing metropolis San Fran. 3 wineries, and a nine hour bus trip... with a difference, it was not all about wine, I swear I have never met anyone who knew so much random information about a city, learned all about San Fran, Its history, inhabitants, celebrity property owners, films made there, plus heaps more.

You can defineatly tell the difference between American and New Zealand Wine... I never knew how different wine could tast until lately... what a great tour, I would recommended it to anyone! Pity they cannot ship to New Zealand... I am definatly going to look out for a few wines at home in the stores.

God a free meal coupon for dinner tonight... it was great.. and Lucy friendly, Corn Tortia with chorizo and salad, along with some chilli and lime soup... delicious... Soo Full!

Well my brain is lagging from lack of sleep, will keep the blog updated while i'm away so you can hear some more on gluten free travel...

caio

lucy

No comments: